Hiatal Hernia Surgery in Johnson City, TN
What is a Hiatal Hernia?
Hiatal hernia is a relatively common condition in which the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm into the chest cavity. There are many cases of hiatal hernia in America annually, and it happens to a majority of senior citizens.
The board-certified general surgeons at Premier Surgical Lawson Group specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of hiatal hernias at our general surgery center in Johnson City, TN. To learn about the symptoms and treatment of Hiatal hernias, please call (423) 975-5650o to schedule your consultation today.
What Causes a Hiatal Hernia?
Generally, the membrane that connects the chest the diaphragm keeps the stomach in place. However, due to:
- Old Age
- Frequent vomiting
the membrane can degenerate, which may force a segment of the stomach into the chest cavity, following the esophagus. We find that mostly middle-aged people to the elderly are the ones who suffer from Hiatal Hernias the most frequently. However, it is not rare that a younger individual will need treatment for a Hiatal Hernia.
What are the Common Symptoms of Hiatal Hernias?
Most people won’t know if they have a hiatal hernia or not. It doesn’t cause symptoms by itself. However, there are things that someone who may have a hiatal hernia may notice:
- Chest pain
- Acid Reflux
- Heartburn that varies with bodily position/stance
- A foreign feeling of air pressure
Hiatal Hernia can be tested in a medical environment with the following tests:
- Barium Swallow X-Ray
- pH Test for stomach acids in the esophagus
However, a doctor will generally not test for Hiatal Hernia if there are no symptoms present. Treatment is often based on the symptoms experienced.
How is a Hiatal Hernia Treated?
Depending on the intensity of the symptoms experienced, there are different solutions for treating a Hiatal Hernia:
- Weight Management
- If your weight is causing hiatal herniation, the healthiest way to remove the damage is to lose weight. Depending on the outcome of weight loss, other procedures may be necessary.
- Antacids / Acid Suppressants
- Taking either prescription or over-the-counter antacids or acid suppressants can reduce the effects of acid in the stomach, or reduce the amount of acid in the stomach, minimizing any “spilling” of acids outside of the stomach.
- If all else has failed, minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery can fix a hiatal hernia (and many other herniations in the body).
Schedule Your Hiatal Hernia Treatment in Johnson City, TN Today!
If your hiatal hernia is causing you health problems, contact Premier Surgical Lawson Group to discuss diagnosis and the treatment options available. To schedule an appointment at our surgery center in Johnson City, TN, please call (423) 975-5650.