Anal Fistula Treatment in The Tri-Cities
A number of small glands are inside the anus. In some cases, these glands can become blocked and the cavity will become infected, which is known as an anal abscess. There’s a 50 percent chance one of the abscesses could become an anal fistula in which a small tunnel connects the infected gland inside the anus to an opening on the skin around the anus.
The board-certified general surgeons at Premier Surgical Lawson Group specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of anal fistulas. To learn more about how to identify an anal fistula and the treatment options available, please call (423) 975-5650 to schedule your consultation at our surgery center in Johnson City, TN today.
What are the Symptoms of an Anal Fistula?
Anal Fistulas can cause the following symptoms:
- Swelling around the anus
- Pain around the anus
- Uncomfortable and painful bowel movements
- Bloody drainage or pus around the anus
Contact your physician immediately if you notice the above symptoms. To properly diagnose an anal fistula, your physician will examine the area around the anus. If the fistula is not visible, the physician will have to perform an anoscopy, ultrasound or MRI.
How to are Anal Fistulas Treated?
Surgery is usually necessary to treat an anal fistula. The physician will choose one of the following treatments based on the position of the fistula:
- Fistulotomy: Fistulotomy is the most common surgical procedure used to treat a fistula. In the procedure, the surgeon cuts the full length of the fistula to drain the contents.
- Advancement Flap Procedures: More complex fistulas might be treated with advancement flap procedures. The advancement flap is removed from the rectum. The flap is then reattached after the fistula tract is removed.
- Seton: If you’re high-risk for developing incontinence, a surgeon might consider a seton, which is a piece of thread that’s left in the fistula tract.
- Fibrin Glue: This non-surgical option involves fibrin glue is injected into the fistula to seal the tract. Though the procedure is safe and painless, it’s not the best option for long-term results.
Schedule an Appointment for Anal Fistula Treatment in Johnson City
If you are experiencing symptoms of anal fistulas, contact Premier Surgical Lawson Group to discuss your comprehensive treatment options with our board-certified general surgeons. Our providers offer comprehensive testing and treatment for anal fistula at our surgery center in Johnson City, TN. To schedule a consultation, please call (423) 975-5650 to start your anal fistula treatment today!