Anal Fistula Treatment in Johnson City, TN
A number of small glands are inside the anus. In some cases, these glands can become blocked and the cavity will become infected, which is known as an anal abscess. There’s a 50 percent chance one of the abscesses could become an anal fistula in which a small tunnel connects the infected gland inside the anus to an opening on the skin around the anus.
The board-certified general surgeons at John Lawson Surgical Group specialize in treating anal fistulas. Learn more about your treatment options and schedule your consultation at our office in Johnson City today.
Symptoms of Anal Fistula
Anal Fistulas can cause the following symptoms:
- Swelling around the anus
- Pain around the anus
- Uncomfortable and painful bowel movements
- Bloody drainage or pus around the anus
Contact your physician immediately if you notice the above symptoms. To properly diagnose an anal fistula, your physician will examine the area around the anus. If the fistula is not visible, the physician will have to perform an anoscopy, ultrasound or MRI.
Treating an Anal Fistula
Surgery is usually necessary to treat an anal fistula. The physician will choose one of the following treatments based on the position of fistula:
- Fistulotomy: Fistulotomy is the most common surgical procedure used to treat a fistula. In the procedure, the surgeon cuts the full length of the fistula to drain the contents.
- Advancement Flap Procedures: More complex fistulas might be treated with advancement flap procedures. The advancement flap is removed from the rectum. The flap is then reattached after the fistula tract is removed.
- Seton: If you’re high-risk for developing incontinence, a surgeon might consider a seton, which is a piece of thread that’s left in the fistula tract.
- Fibrin Glue: This non-surgical option involves fibrin glue being injected into the fistula to seal the tract. Though the procedure is safe and painless, it’s not the best option for long-term results.
Treatment for Anal Fistulas with The John Lawson Surgical Group
The John Lawson Surgical Group provides comprehensive treatment for anal fistulas at our office in Johnson City. Call either of our offices to schedule your consultation today.